How to Join
Any person or organisation with an interest in astronomy may apply for membership of the Society. When joining, a full years membership fee and a once-only joining fee must be paid in advance at the same time. Processing of new memberships may take up to 4 weeks.
The application form is available here or at month meetings.
Please note that Membership kits may take up to six weeks to be delivered as applications are only processed at the end of each month.
Joining Fee: $20.00 ( Juniors exempt)
Full Membership - $70.00 pa
- 18 - 64 yrs inclusive.
- Two adults and directly related children under 18 yrs of age
- Must provide name of partner,if applicable, as well as names and DOB of children named above e.g Damian(24/5/2000)
- All must reside at the same address.
- Only available in one person's name.
- Eligible for only one set of publications.
- For Council elections and other meetings, a Full Membership which includes family members has only one vote.
Concessional Membership - $50.00 pa
- Pensioners and Seniors 65 years and over. (Proof of age and type of concession is required eg. Pensioners Card)
- Disability Pensioners
- Full time Student under 25 yrs (must supply a copy of their student card)
- Interstate (all non-Victorian residents of Australia)
- Juniors under 18 yrs (exempt from Joining Fee)
Overseas - $90.00 pa
- Overseas covers "Air Mail Only" and fees are quoted in Australian Dollars.
Membership of the Astronomical Society of Victoria Inc. is open to all who are interested in Astronomy.
As well as the Monthly Meetings, members can also participate in:
- Club Meetings at the ASV Lodge, using the ASV's 50cm telescope;
- Observing Sessions at the ASV's Leon Mow Dark Sky Site north of Melbourne;
- Society Activities including the Star-Be-Cue, observation nights, seminars and visits;
- The Society's Sections, where members meet to discuss specialist astronomical interests;
- The Society's Discussion Forums.
You will receive:
- A newsletter every second month;
- The ASV Yearbook, over 70 pages of detailed information on the night sky for the year
Also available to members are:
- An up-to-date astronomical library of over 2000 books and magazines;
- Telescopes for loan
Renewing members will be advised via email if they have supplied a valid email address. Members who have not supplied a valid email address will receive a paper renewal form.
When renewing your membership, you must return your completed Renewal Form each year to ensure all your details are correct and to reaffirm your agreement to abide by the Constitution and Rules of the Society.
If you have any membership related queries please contact the Membership Secretary:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: GPO Box 1059, Melbourne VIC 3001, Australia
- Phone contact via the ASV's SKYLINE on (61) (3) 9888 7130